Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Game to Remember

Since the start of my time at Youth & Shelter Services I have been meeting with an eighth grade mentee. Many days I think that she is having more of an impact on my life than I do on hers. She is always upbeat, kind and positive about the situations she encounters even though they are things most adults would struggle with for an eternity.

Everyone has those negative moments that will stick with us for a lifetime. My goal with my mentee was to provide her with a couple of positive experiences and hope that they would eventually outweigh the negatives. As I asked her about the things she wishes she could do, one of them was attend a football game.

The next week, I got an email saying the mentoring program was receiving free tickets for the last ISU game of the season! The joy on my mentees face cannot be described on paper. Not only did she do the typical jumping and screaming that many middle school girls do when they are excited, but she also ran into the Support Services office to tell everyone what we were going to do.

The entire game she was ecstatic and even after the game I was still getting texts saying, “I’m going to remember that day for the rest of my life!” Even though ISU lost, that game will always be a win in our hearts.

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment